Wednesday, March 5, 2008

275 3/8

I've picked up my pace on the elliptical trainer. I used to do what measured as 1.80 miles in 32 minutes, now I'm doing 2.12 in that same amount of time. When I first started out on the stepper, I was proud to do 3000 steps in 30 minutes. Now I can do 5000 in that time. On the Stationary bike, I started out doing 8 minute miles, now I can do 5 miles in under 30 minutes.
A lot can change in 2 months. Today I am eight weeks removed from my gastric bypass, and I bet I haven't had my weight this low in 9 years. Yeah, 275 3/8 is low! For me at least.

I had some issues this past week, as I had a little bit of mashed potatoes, with some gravy, and that gravy did not sit well with my stomach. I have avoided the unpleasant regurgitation experience for the most part that some bypass patients have, but that gravy might have been a bit greasy, and that caused an issue, as did a small portion of fried rice.

On Sunday my wife treated me to Carabba's, where I had a cup of sausage Lentil soup and a serving of 2 crab cakes (Unbreaded) for my meal. It completely sated me, in stark contrast to my past visits, where I would have devoured an appetizer, an entire bowl of bread, an entree, and still had room for dessert.

As I look back, I am amazed at how much we Americans tend to overeat. I suppose when we were a country of hard laborers, it was easy to burn it off, back in the days before all the processed food and chemical additives. Now that we are a sedentary society, we need to learn to discipline ourselves better in our nutritional choices. I'm no expert there, I will leave those comments to the pros.
I heard a comedian on XM radio this week, talking about a morbidly obese guy standing on a corner, holding a sign saying, "Will Work for food." The Comedian remarked that the guy had to weigh over 400 pounds, so he rolled down his window and shouted: "Hey buddy, you might want to take a day off!"

That's really mean, but I found myself laughing. It's not something I would do, I've been ridiculed for my size a few times. I want to be healthy again, but I won't forget how being morbidly obese feels, both physically and emotionally.

No comments: