Thursday, July 17, 2008

234 1/2!

Somehow I lost a pound last week. Hurray! My swim times keep getting better. Tonight I did 16 laps (800 meters)in 35 minutes and 28 seconds. When I started doing laps, doing 3 of them after all the other stuff was tough. But now I can do 35 minutes, or 3+ miles on the elliptical trainer, and go do an 800 meter swim a few minutes after. I'm doing this a minimum of 4 times a week, and it's really starting to show in my arms and legs, they are getting lean, at least what passes for lean on a 5'11' 234 pound guy!
Now it would be easy to say that I'm a slow swimmer, but you have to remember some things. First, I am doing the Breast stroke, because Free style is really hard on my shoulder, and the constant kicking hard on my knees and hip. The Breast stroke is a good stroke for me, and I have found I do laps faster that way than with the freestyle, it is more "ergonomic" for me, and I get a better, more lasting physical workout. All those summers in morning swim club back in the late 60's and early 70's were worth it! I hated it then for taking me away from baseball, but I'm glad I did it now.

Okay, I keep getting questions about how losing weight has had any effect on my libido. That's why I do private emails, because some questions are TMI (Too much INFORMATION!) I empathize with the curiosity, but I'm not going there publicly, people, only privately.
Do I get urges to overeat, or ever find myself eating just to eat?
I get full so quickly when I do eat, I think I honestly can't answer that question. As I've written before, my problem has now become one that I don't eat often enough. I have to make a conscious effort to eat protein first thing every day. Other wise, when I do eat, I get filled up before I get enough, and I feel strung out at times. The only way to cope is to eat small meals every couple of hours.
I have 4 to 5 60 calorie yogurts and 4 to 6 90 calorie Kellogg breakfast bars between 6 AM and 3 PM, and sometimes I go to a nearby Bennigans on 309, or Zoto's diner across the highway for a bowl of soup. I have to watch the salt intake, on days I have soup and check my Blood pressure, it is always up 5 to 10 points.

Tonight my BP was 125 over 72, and my resting pulse was 63, before I worked out.

Back to the food issue. Everything I listed above, barely breaks 1200 calories, in a worst case scenario. that's why I try to have protein as soon as I get home around 4 PM, before I go to the gym, as well as when I get home, after 7. Tonight I made an omelet with some Better n'Eggs and added some sliced Pepperoni. I threw a slice of Colby jack cheese on top too. Still i don't know if I made 2000 calories for the day, and I need to eat more to rev up my metabolism, and keep burning off the excess fat. Otherwise, my body will slow down to protect itself. that's the trap of it. That's why my weight has stabilized where it has. i was told this would happen, and sooner or later, my body will shift gears again, and I will start another descent, as long as I follow the game plan.

No comments: