Friday, July 11, 2008

Six months after surgery, at 235 1/2

On the Morning of January 9th, depending on whose scale you used, at 5 AM I weighed somewhere between 323 and 332 pounds. On April 8th I weighed, depending on whose scale you used, somewhere between 261 and 258 pounds. Tonight, Thursday July 10th, 180 days removed from surgery, according to the scale at the Human Performance Center, I weigh either 235 1/4 or 235 1/2. I'll live with the half. The long term goal is/was 220. I think I will eventually surpass it, as it is I'm way ahead of my expectations, I though I wouldn't get this far until at least Christmas. Tonight I did 35 minutes on the elliptical, then I went and swam 20 laps in the 25 meter pool, which took an hour. I'm not the fastest swimmer, and I am doing the breast stroke, but it's a really good workout. I didn't go to the gym on either Tuesday or Wednesday, letting my muscles rest, while I caught up on some much needed to be done home maintenance.
I couldn't accurately weigh myself before Thanksgiving in 2007, because the scale only went to 350. It is probably, in all likelihood, accurate to say that I have lost at least 120 pounds, or one third of the weight I was carrying around 8 months ago. I find that amazing, and staggering to consider. I am one lucky guy, but I still have a lot of work to do. I have to continue to practice healthy habits. i have no one to blame but myself if I fail. Thank God i have such a great and supportive spouse. I couldn't have done it without her!

No comments: